Software Engineer -> Senior -> Staff Engineer
Rally Software / CA Technologies / Broadcom2014 - Date.now()
Feature development in Rally, the $100M+ agile application lifecycle management product, working in cutting edge technologies continuously delivered against a backdrop of more legacy frameworks than you can shake a stick at. We pride ourselves on extensive test coverage and robust production observability.
Currently focused on an overhaul of our front-end (React and Redux) and helping support legacy Clojure microservices.
- Team Contributions
- Advise teammates in best practices for using our internal UI design system
- Organizer of an internal Front-end Developers Guild where best practices are discussed and org-wide working agreements decided
- Volunteer “steward” for our front-end repository, tasked with fostering developer productivity and a healthy codebase
- Technical Contributions
- Converted our overhauled app's unit testing suite to Jest with react-testing-library (from Jasmine/enzyme), pruning 800 test suites containing 9000 tests down to 130 suites containing the 1500 still-relevant tests
- Primary author/maintainer of an internal Node-based error reporting tool for tracking client-side errors. Using this tool, engineering collectively reduced the 5-day JS error count from over 250 to about 15.
- Revamped our front-end documentation content and build process to catch up to the current state of our app
- Provide detailed bug reports and minimal bug reproductions to the team building our internal design system
Volunteer Frontend Developer
Colorado Citizen Software EngineersSpring 2020
Developed a COVID-19 triage hotline for uninsured Coloradans on a small team using TypeScript and Postgres, Twilio, AWS, and an electronic medical records system.
Data Analyst -> Agile Product Owner -> Software DeveloperClearwater Analytics2007 - 2014
- Built RESTful webservices in Java using JAX-RS 2.0, including the underlying DAO and SQL stored procedures.
- Designed and implemented a set of AJAX backoffice tools using Twitter Bootstrap in support of legacy database update operations previously performed by analysts via direct SQL manipulation
- Personally upgraded a backoffice system from Spring 2.0 to Spring 3.0 in order to provide AJAX support in the above tools and enhance future maintainability. Migrated from the Acegi security framework to its successor, Spring Security.
- Helped build a proof-of-concept transaction processing service with HTTP long-polling
- As a Data Analyst, designed SQL queries to help the sales and executive teams answer questions about our customers and their usage patterns
- Enormously grateful for the chance to pursue new roles when I wanted greater technical challenges